Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Welcome to the Front Lines

I am honored that you decided to take a few minutes to hear my heart on prayer. There are so many things taking place here at the National Day of Prayer Task Force. Every week, I will try to keep you informed on new projects and even share prayer requests with you.

Here is just a little about me. I really don't like to talk about me, but you should know some of my history so we can move on with more important things. I really enjoy dialog so be sure to leave your comments. I will read every one of them.

Okay here we go...

Currently I serve as the Senior Director of the National Day of Prayer Task Force. I have been in ministry for over 15 years. My history in ministry takes me back to 1st Baptist Church of Atlanta where I worked in new member services. Our pastor, whom I still have a great deal of respect for, was Charles Stanley. I then traveled with a group from Texas as a missionary into Mexico. From there, I went into Seminary. These experiences changed my life. I came out of school with a great deal of passion for sharing the incredible story of Jesus Christ. I couldn't wait. So, God directed me into Youth Ministry. However, it wasn’t the nice large church building with a high-tech video and audio system I was hoping for. Rather, I agreed to be a youth pastor for an inner city church for nearly 2 years. What I mean by a church was a group of believers that pulled equipment out of a van that we set-up every Sunday near a street corner. It was a tail-gate church. That was hard. It was difficult to see so much pain in these young people...anger, frustration, confusion...I am sure you understand. I had gang members, pregnant teens, abuse cases - God taught me a lot about patience through their eyes. Simply telling them about Christ and expecting change was foolish. They needed to see action not just hear words. I had this illusion that the greatest trials were across the border when some of the most hurting people were right in my own backyard. I didn’t get a paycheck for being an inner city pastor. So, I had to keep “tent-making” to pay the bills. I really wanted to work in ministry. God heard my heart. He opened a door for me at Focus on the Family. There I worked in Family Ministry. It was right where my heart was. It also enabled me to continue serving as a pastor. I was able to work on video and book projects. Dr. Dobson even allowed me to go on the speaking circuit for Heritage Builders and the Spiritual Growth of Children Seminars. I had a heart for families and in every seminar I started by giving families a model for prayer. So, Shirley Dobson asked me to join National Day of Prayer. There is nothing more powerful than communion with God and it is foundational in our Christian walk. I am blessed to be a part of this prayer ministry. I now have an amazing wife and 5…yes FIVE, wonderful children – 3 girls and 2 boys. They are ages 4 to 13 so we have our hands full.

There is so much more I intend to share with you. My wife is currently battling cancer. We are in need of your prayers. I will tell you more in another blog.

Since you are reading a National Day of Prayer staff blog, I imagine that prayer is something of great importance to you. You have probably experienced spiritual warfare first hand. Welcome to the front lines!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband and I are praying for our nation. We are praying for the church, the unborn, and the lost.

I am praying for God to comfort your wife,you& your family as you face cancer. We pray God's healing power and Psalm 91 over your home.
We understand. Three yrs ago my husband was told by the dr that he had cancer and had an antibody that was killing his red blood cells. The Lord has healed him and the antibody is gone and his blood counts are almost back to normal! Thank the Lord Jesus for answered prayer!
I believe He can heal His church and this nation! We stand with you in prayer!

National Day of Prayer said...

Thank you for your prayers and support. I am so excited by the news we hear every day about the body of Christ uniting in prayer. What a sound that must be before the Lord. I also thank you for your prayers for my life personally. We have been battling cancer since 1997, but we don't miss a step. We are completely confident in the Lord in life...or death. My wife will rejoice in the Lord whereever she may be. We are truly blessed even during this battle.
God bless you and your husband. I share in your joy and am delighted the Lord gave you a miracle. How awesome!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the work you're doing with the National Day of Prayer. We really appreciate it. I love Focus on the Family and everything they have done over the years. I'll be praying for you and your family for strenth in this fight against cancer. God bless you!